Blocked drains are often caused by fat, oil and grease that goes down our drains rather than in the rubbish. Often fat, oil and grease goes down the plughole as a hot liquid. As it cools, it solidifies and can catch on tree roots and rough surfaces in our pipes, gradually causing blockages.
A lot of the time blocked drains and pipes are simply the result of tree roots clogging drains and damaging your plumbing. The old way was to dig up and replace existing pipes and drains.
A new technique is to line them with a new core pipe. The core is manufactured in continuous lengths, eliminating joints and cracks which can lead to root infiltration. The pipe is manufactured from a felt core which is impregnated with a complex polymer resin. The core is then winched or pulled into position and, once set, the resin activates, leaving the new pipe actually stronger than the old!
This enables pipes with diameters from 100mm (4 inch), to 300mm (12 inch), – lengths from 1 metre (3 feet) to 100 metres (100 yards) may be repaired with less disruption and greatly decreased costs.
Advantages of Core Lining
- A more permanent solution to the whole problem, not just temporary relief from symptoms
- Core lining technology is suitable for industrial, commercial, domestic and council pipelines
- Pipes cannot be infiltrated by tree roots
- The materials used are extremely strong and abrasion resistant
- Plumbing is ready for use within hours – not days
- Increased flow characteristics
- Eliminates odour problems
- Eliminates sewerage leaking into the soil
- Stops infiltration of toxins into waterways & surrounding areas
- When combined with CCTV inspections of drains, pipes and services, this plumbing system beats older methods hands down
The rehabilitated, lined drains even have better flow, resulting in increased efficiency & strength. Unblocking of drains is now a breeze!
About the author:
Kevin Barry Jnr has been working in Pipeline Rehabilitation in Sydney for over 20 years, winning many awards along the way. Major clients include McDonalds, BHP & The Department of Defence. His firm has won contracts to clear and rehabilitate pipelines in the Middle East and Asia.